I'm not really sure where this blog will go, so here goes...
So I read a little more of the book "When I Don't Desire God" tonight by John Piper. His thoughts are so profound sometimes that I only feel like I can retain a portion of them at a time. I suppose it should be stated that the reason for there profundity does not lie in the fact in Piper's own brilliance but in the gracious understanding given to Him through the Word of God.
The chapter I am on is focusing on the role that the Word plays in the fight for joy. One of the main things I read tonight addressed the fact that the Word helps make the "deceitful desires" of the flesh undesirable to the one who belongs to Christ. This is a way that "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" (John 8:32). By reading the Word and through the Spirit of God, we are able to put to death these deceitful desires in us to fight for a greater prize in Christ Himself. Piper emphasizes that Christianity is a fight...it is a war against sin, and only through the Word can we be victorious. Through the truth of the Word only, we are able to put out the desires of lust, money, power, illusions of earthly pleasures, and ultimately the adulterous dissatisfaction in our good God. This is much easier to say than to put to practice and has given me a challenge in my own life.
I have really enjoyed the spiritual conversations I have had with my friends and brothers/sisters the last few days. From Calvinisim, to relationships, to Revelation, the fellowship was good. I am thankful for these people in my life.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment