Saturday, May 10, 2008

Deceitful Desires and Taking Them Captive

So I had a little bit of time to myself today while driving (not too long though), but it was a good time for me to spend in prayer and thinking. Going back two posts ago, I was thinking again about those "deceitful desires" that so often distract and pull us away from the only One who can give us true joy. I think more and more I am finding how important it is to take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ in the fight against sin. I suppose the main reason that I get so caught up in the things of this world sometimes is that I temporarily fall into the trap of believing they can bring me more joy than spending time with my Father. However, when these deceptive thoughts come up, it would be a good time for me to quote Scripture. For example, part of Psalm 19 says "In your presence there is fullness of joy." Focusing my attention on God's Word, it's easier (not easy) to fight the battle of what the world considers to bring joy to us.

Just because I quote Scripture, though, does not mean that I automatically loose the grip these desires have on my mind and even my heart. It's a fight against sin, not a one time shot to the head. The battle is ongoing and continuous, but in Christ, we know our victory has already been won. Therefore, we must persevere until the end! Sometimes I quote Scripture, and I still doubt it or fail to trust in God's Word. How ignorant of me to doubt our faithful Father! But that is when I need Scripture...I need to pray it so that my heart will be transformed by it, not in my own power but through the grace of God. If His Word says there is fullness of joy in His presence and I still do not trust it, then I must pray it until I believe it. God's Word is the truth, and that is what will set us free in the fight against sin....not our own willpower and human effort, but the truth of God's Word.

No comments: